Installing XAMPP Apache Web Server
It is not easy to setup an Apache Web Server and it gets more difficult if you want to add MySQL database, interpreters for programs written in PHP, Perl etc. These difficulties can be solved by using XAMPP. XAMPP is an open source web solution package containing Apache Web Server, MySQL, PHP and Perl. It is very easy to install and use – just download, install and start.
XAMPP is available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris operating systems. Here we will see how to install XAMPP 1.8.1 VC9 in Windows 7 Operating System. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable package is required for the proper functioning of XAMPP PHP of this version.
- Download and Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
- Download XAMPP
- Right Click on the EXE file >> Run as Administrator
- Click OK, if prompted by Windows 7
- Then the setup may show a warning as shown below.
- Click OK, as mentioned in the prompt, don’t install XAMPP to C:\Program Files (x86)\
- Then the Setup will welcome you to the Setup Wizard, Click Next
- You can select required components in the next dialog box, Click Next
- Choose the Installation Folder and Click Next
- Uncheck Learn more about BitNami for XAMPP and Click Next
- Click Next, this will start the installation process
- After the completion of the Progress Bar it will show Completing the XAMPP installation dialog box. Check Do you want to start Control Panel now? and Click Finish.
You can Start, Stop or Manage all services from this control panel. Usage of each functions will be described in coming tutorials.